Saturday, May 5, 2007

Let the rhetoric begin

The leafs on the trees haven't even blossomed yet; summer, fall and winter are still before us and in South Carolina this past week the great debate has begun. (Or at least it has in the mind of the media) Both parties held the first of what is sure to be a mind numbing number of televised (go c-span) debates between the various and sundry candidates running for the office of president of the United States. And already the national (yea right) media has annoited the front runners from each party with the oil of buffoonery. With over 500 days until the election the rhetoric of personal attack has been ratched up. Unfortunately for the Dems they still seem to be running against President Bush, and the Reps seem to be running from themselves. Persnally I can wait awhile before I decide which candidate I may support, but here are just a couple thoughts. The democrats are doing there best to make sure family values have a place in the party unfortunately I am not quite sure if the family values they are expressing are the same values that most Amricans hold to. And as far as the front runners of the Republicans is concerned I am not sure which one is trying harder to distance themselves from the base faster McCain or Rudy. I am sure that neither would be very electable then again I am not so sure that any candidate from either party is very electable, which just makes for more fun and games in the weeks and months to come. My best advise enjoy the summer, enjoy the fall, enjoy the winter, because by next spring the rhetoric may be so thick it will blot out the sun.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rudy is too liberal for most Conservatives, especially knowing his stands on abortion. That alone is enough for me-at least, to cheer for someone else. (I love Newt right now).

I'm just afraid America is sick of republicans, since they seem to believe Bush caused the world to fall apart.

Gas prices-Bush's fault!
Car breakdown? Bush did it! he came to your house and destroyed your engine!

You get the picture...

oldguy said...

jenelle,
great observation both on rudy and on the general malaise of republicans. however let me say this if a realy candidate will step up an invoke a biblical worldview (this can be done w/o even quoting the bible) then I think you would see a change in perception. bush bashing was a direct result, gw's problem was relinquishing his bwv on some issues ie: education, spending. here's a question, what do you (any of you) think of returning issues to the states and what do think about abolishing the 18th amendment (I think it is this one) and return Us senate back to appointments by each states legislative bodies. I wonder how many people realize that until passage of that amendment each state apointted men and women to the senate to be in office only as long as the majority party was in office in each state and that these men and women truly represented the people of each state and not some special interest. (just a little history)